I remember when I was younger, I used to be a cry-baby. I was always the boy being teased and unofficially became a laughing stock by my other children in our neighborhood which oftentimes lead to me being in a fist fight. More often than not, my father reminds me that this is a part of growing up and they are just "joking".

Now, segway tayo sa issue ni Alec Baldwin "joking" about Filipinas in a show by David Letterman that is now a sizzling-topic in the Philippines as evident in the media where the prior said to the latter, "I think about getting Filipino mail-order bride at this point or a Russian one, I don't care, I'm 51." Although the statement is not really pleasant [at least to us Filipinos], we have to remember that "The David Letterman Show" is basically a comedy show thus that in mind, statement such as the above should not be taken seriously.

Of course I understand that what Mr. Baldwin said was not right but that's a comedy show. This is the same issue with comedienne Candy Pangilinan where the Igorots were hurt when the latter "joked" about being a human being and not an Igorot. These statements were not seriously uttered but rather just a joke. A lot of us Pinoys say that if a statement hurt, whether a joke or not, it must be true.

I bet most of us have done something like this before, even the politicians who are extremely hot with this issue. Joked about something... Yes, of course, Mr. Baldwin should say sorry probably not because he has done something wrong [because I believe it was a joke] but because he unintentionally hurt someone in the process. But if he doesn't say sorry, so what? Individual Filipinos have a lot of things/issue to prioritize than this issue economic and environmental wise. I hope that we learn to choose to fight battles. Not all battles should be fought. I know I choose my battles wiser these days. Nagmumukha tayong "cry baby" sa mata ng ibang bansa eh, binibiro lang tayo, nakikipagsuntukan na agad tayo [of course this is an exagerated expression].

This issue, for me, is in between right and wrong as it was a joke. Again, it's like the jokes about ex-president Joseph Estrada, the jokes of Jose and Wally and other stand-up comediannes to other nationalities during their spiels, etc. BUT if anyone "seriously" humiliate us especially our direct loved ones, then that's a different issue. That "may be" a battle really worth fighting for.


==========================================================
Please feel free to copy and paste above article in your blogs, website or anywhere on the net as long as you include this entire credit:

www.thoughtsofaneagle.blogspot.com | All Rights Reserved
==========================================================

0 comments